In November I revealed my spending for perhaps the fist time on this blog and followed that up with Decembers spending as well. I plan to continue this for all of 2015 so I can determine what my spending levels are based on the lifestyle I have chosen to live. I was a little lazy last year in tracking my spending, but I want to get back into the habit of it so I can better measure what I hope will be some financial progress in 2015. Having this information will be vital in determining how much and of what type of work I need to do, as well as give me a target for hitting financial independence (FI).
For 2015 I’m expecting my total personal expenditures to come in at $9584.00 Here is the breakdown of how that spending will be divided up, with totals representing yearly amounts:
- Food– As troubling as I find it to be, feeding myself is projected to be the most expensive of my combined behaviors, even more so than housing myself. I know that because my housing expenses are so low it makes the other categories look higher, but it still makes me feel like a glutton that I spend so much on eating.:-( Under this category I include groceries, eating out and alcohol. Things like toiletries and household products are listed separately. Total: $3000.
- Housing– Housing costs include electric/gas, water, internet, insurance, and taxes. The only thing I haven’t included here is maintenance, but since I’ve basically turned this place into a new house, I don’t anticipate this being very high. Total: $2708.28.
- Transportation– Transportation costs include insurance on both my vehicle and my motorcycle. This is an area that will likely see some changes as I’m going to report my transportation expenses to reflect the use of my vehicle for work as well as my plans to sell my motorcycle in the spring. When these changes occur I will list them under the monthly spending updates. Total: $1836.00
- Shopping– This is a catch all for the various things I buy. The single largest item is likely to be books because, well, that’s my thing. I’ll try to do a better job of reporting the actual items that are included here in the monthly updates. Total: $900.00
- Entertainment: Usually a Red Box movie or a trip to an actual movie theater. Entertainment is usually what we decide to do with our leisure time and for me that is reading, which shows up under shopping expenses and for the most part is quite inexpensive. Total: $480.00
- Laundry– Since I have yet to finish the utility room, I take my clothing in and have it cleaned for me. This is usually $2o.00 monthly for a total of: $240.00
- Personal Care– I need you to sit down for this. Are you ready? The Stoic is a pretty low maintenance dude. I know, with my writing you probably were expecting something very different, but it’s true. 🙂 With deepening wrinkles around my eyes and more white showing up in my beard on what seems like a monthly basis, my days of vanity are long behind me. Besides the basics, like toothpaste, deodorant, contact solution, and the occasional over-the-counter meds this category is relatively small. Total: $240.00
- Household– Items such as toilet paper, dish soap, candles, etc. Total: $180.00
I don’t think I will come in at exactly this amount because there may be a couple of unaccounted for expenses. However, I do expect the spending in each category to be very close. Even with unplanned expenses my total spending should stay below $13,000. I can live with that.